TORONTO – Tuesday, May 19, 2020 – Time by Sarah Riggs, translated from the French written by Etel Adnan (Nightboat Books) and Magnetic Equator by Kaie Kellough (McClelland & Stewart) are the International and Canadian winners of the 2020 Griffin Poetry Prize, each receiving C$65,000 in prize money. The other shortlist finalists will be awarded $10,000 each.
THE 2020 GRIFFIN POETRY PRIZE WINNERS
Sarah Riggs, translated from the French written by Etel Adnan
by Kaie Kellough
The Griffin Poetry Prize was founded in 2000 to encourage and celebrate excellence in poetry. The prize is for first edition books of poetry written in, or translated into, English and submitted from anywhere in the world.
The judges for the 2020 Griffin Poetry Prize are Paula Meehan (Ireland), Kei Miller (Jamaica/UK) and Hoa Nguyen (Canada). These distinguished writers and poets each read 572 books of poetry, received from fourteen countries around the globe, including translations from eighteen different languages. The trustees of The Griffin Trust For Excellence In Poetry select the judges annually.
|Presenting the 2020 Griffin Poetry Prize Winners|
- Abigail Chabitnoy’s How to Dress a Fish, published by Wesleyan University Press
- Sharon Olds’ Arias, published by Jonathan Cape and Alfred A. Knopf
- Sarah Riggs’ translation, from the French, of Time written by Etel Adnan, published by Nightboat Books
- Natalie Scenters-Zapico’s Lima :: Limón, published by Copper Canyon Press
- Chantal Gibson’s How She Read, published by Caitlin Press
- Doyali Islam’s heft, published by McClelland & Stewart
- Kaie Kellough’s Magnetic Equator, published by McLelland & Stewart
Note to Booksellers: Griffin Poetry Prize book stickers are supplied free of charge by The Griffin Trust. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to place an order. Winner book stickers will be available after May 19.
For further information, contact:
Tel: (647) 389-9510
Tel: (905) 618-0420
Shortlisted Publishers’ Web sites:
Alfred A. Knopf:
Copper Canyon Press:
McClelland & Stewart:
Wesleyan University Press: